This week, I learned how mathematics serves as a bridge between art and science, shaping how we perceive and represent the world. One key insight came from Linda Henderson’s article, which explored how early 20th-century artists like Marcel Duchamp were inspired by the idea of the fourth dimension and non-Euclidean geometry. It was interesting to see how these concepts helped artists break from traditional, linear perspectives and create abstract, multidimensional works. Edwin Abbott’s Flatland’s use of a two-dimensional world to explore the limitations of perception helped me grasp how higher dimensions, especially the fourth, can work to challenge our assumptions and expand how we understand our reality. The lecture video also demonstrated how patterns like the golden ratio and fractals appear both in nature and human-made creations. It showed how artists use math to understand beauty, structure, and form.
![]() |
| Under the Wave off Kanagawa, Katsushika Hokusai, underlaid with the golden rule |
![]() |
| Guernica, Pablo Picasso |
![]() |
| Scale of Guernica |
![]() |
| M.C. Escher's Relativity, mathematics as a creative tool |
We see that mathematics, art, and science may seem separate, but they often overlap in surprising ways. They each seek to uncover truths but when combined, they offer a fuller, more imaginative view of reality. This week showed me that the boundaries between them are more fluid than I thought and that’s where some of the most exciting ideas can emerge.
Refrences:
Abbott, Edwin A. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. 1884.
Frantz, Marc. “Lesson 3: Vanishing Points and Looking at Art.” CS@UCF, University of Central Florida, https://www.cs.ucf.edu/courses/cap6938-02/refs/VanishingPoints.pdf.
Gessler, Nicholas. "Where the Wild Things Are." The Institute For Figuring, https://www.theiff.org/publications/cab21-gessler.html.
Henderson, Linda Dalrymple. “The Fourth Dimension and Non-Euclidean Geometry in Modern Art: Conclusion.” Leonardo, vol. 17, no. 3, 1984, pp. 205–210.
Lesser, Casey. “What Makes Guernica Picasso’s Most Influential Painting.” Artsy, 12 June 2017, https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-guernica-picassos-influential-painting.
Math in Art and Science. YouTube, uploaded by UC Online, 5 Dec. 2016,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmq5B1LKDg
Image 1: https://www.artandobject.com/slideshows/golden-ratio-revealed-7-masterpieces
Image 2,3:https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-guernica-picassos-influential-painting
Image 4: https://moa.byu.edu/m-c-eschers-relativity/




This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Raya! I loved your Blog Post #2. It was short, to the point and yet also captivating. For example, I appreciated your discussion on "Under the Wave off Kanagawa" by artist Katsushika Hokusai. This is a famous painting we've all seen many times, that I've seen constantly in the media, and yet I never knew it used the golden rule to achieve such perfect proportions. You take something well-known and apply a new concept to it in a very skillful manner. I'm also so jealous you've seen the Guernica! It's situated in Spain which is a place teeming with culture and art. It prompts me to ask you what your experience there was like? Further, looking back on that trip with this new "two cultures" perspective, where else did you see an overlap between science and art? I also like how you referred to the divide between science and art as a "boundary". I think that word is appropriate and just as boundaries can be rewritten and redesigned, so can the separation between these two disciplines!
ReplyDelete