Hi, I'm Raya Sanikhatam! I am a Psychology major with a love for art and design. I am really interested in how science and creativity can work together, and I see psychology as a bridge between those two cultures. I hope to build a life and career that blends both, where I can explore the human mind through research while also expressing ideas visually and emotionally through art.
We see that traditionally theres these two cultures:
- The sciences (physicists, biologists, etc.)
- The humanities (authors, philosophers, etc.)
| The two sides of campus, from Two Cultures part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FOEuxrwxd0&t=28s |
All throughout my life it seems I've always been taught to separate art and science, as if they were two opposites of a spectrum, and being from immigrant parents it was always emphasized to me the importance of pursuing STEM for a career, as it was seen as more successful or prestigious. At UCLA we can see how these two spectrums are separated on campus having different areas and specialized buildings. I've also noticed that most universities focus more on STEM (The Sciences) building new facilities and putting money towards STEM compared to the humanities.
With this understanding of these two cultures we now come to the idea of a third culture....
Brookman's idea of the third culture caught my attentions as it doesn't align completely with Snow's, He states that the third culture are scientists and other intellectuals who:
Where can we go forward with this...
Sources/Resources
| www.pinakoteka.zascianek.pl muzea.malopolska.pl Astronomer Copernicus, or Conversations with God |
With this understanding of these two cultures we now come to the idea of a third culture....
Brookman's idea of the third culture caught my attentions as it doesn't align completely with Snow's, He states that the third culture are scientists and other intellectuals who:
- Communicate directly with the public.
- Write books and essays in accessible language.
- Tackle big philosophical questions about human life, consciousness, the universe, etc.
- Don’t wait for approval from traditional literary or academic circles.
Where can we go forward with this...
Perhaps this third culture is more relevant to today’s world than traditional literary critics or even philosophers. We're seeing how science is reshaping how we see ourselves and our place in the world. Using data and evidence to try and answer our deepest questions and in a way bridging the gap between science and the general public.
| https://jcom.sissa.it/article/pubid/JCOM_2004_2021_N02/ |
Training to support scientists to engage with the public in non-traditional venues
These new ideas help me see connections between science and creativity, showing me that I don’t have to choose one over the other. As a student and in life, I can use this perspective to approach problems more holistically and bring both analytical and artistic thinking to whatever I do.
Sources/Resources
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. Cambridge University Press, 1959.
Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between.” Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001, pp. 121-125. JSTOR, https://www.jstor.org/stable/1577014.
Brockman, John. The Third Culture: Beyond the Scientific Revolution. New York, NY: Touchstone, 1995.-
Lecture Part 3(https://youtu.be/VNI7dF3DIAM?si=RczJJU7ssFXnBP7F)
Wilson, Stephen. 'Myths and Confusion in Thinking About Art/Science/Technology
Hi Raya it's nice to meet you! First off, I really like your blog layout as its simple and easy follow. While reading your post on the two cultures something that stood out to me is your explanation on the next steps forward with the chart you incorporated to give a clear visualization of how we can use science to engage with the public in non-traditional venues. The visualization helped give me a clear direction of the point you are making. Overall this is a solid post and my question for you is, how would you incorporate science in non-traditional venues?
ReplyDelete