 |
| MRI |
Until recently, I saw medical imaging as something purely diagnostic, an objective window into the body. But this week’s course materials invited me to rethink that assumption, especially through the lens of art and expression. What if imaging technologies like MRIs are not just tools for medicine, but also mirrors that shape how we see ourselves?

 |
| Examples of Didou's work |
Silvia Casini’s essay on MRI revealed something I’d never considered: MRIs are not only visual, they’re also acoustic. The machine's rhythmic pulsing, the isolation inside the scanner, and the communication between patient and technician all form a sensory experience. Artists like Marc Didou have used MRI not for medical diagnosis but for personal expression, transforming the scan from a clinical artifact into a kind of expression of self.
Donald Ingber’s article, The Architecture of Life, added another layer to my understanding. He describes how life is structured through principles like tensegrity, a balance of tension and compression. This architecture appears everywhere in the human body, from cytoskeletons to organs. Understanding how cells are physically “wired” helps explain not just form, but function and even gene expression. That insight links biology to design and, unexpectedly, to sculpture.
 |
| Genetic Architecture |
The ethical side of medical technology was brought into sharp focus in the PBS article on the modern Hippocratic Oath. While the original oath emphasized not doing harm, today's versions have to recognize the complexities of technology, consent, and empathy. As technology becomes more advanced and in a sense more intimate, it seems that so must our responsibility to patients as whole people, not just bodies to scan.
Reflecting on all this, I’m beginning to see MRI not just as a window into the body, but as a mirror that reflects identity, vulnerability, and even creativity. Through sound and structure, art and ethics, the medical image is no longer neutral and cold but rather personal in scope.
Refrences:
Casini, Silvia. Magnetic Resonance Imaging as Mirror and Portrait: MRI Configurations between Science and the Arts. Configurations, vol. 19, no. 1, 2011, pp. 73–99. Johns Hopkins University Press, https://doi.org/10.1353/con.2011.0000.
Ingber, Donald E. “The Architecture of Life.” Scientific American, vol. 278, no. 1, Jan. 1998.
Photos:
1- https://www.embs.org/pulse/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2024/08/Ultra-High-to-Ultra-Low-MRI-Goes-to-Extremes.jpg
2&3- https://digicult.it/design/marc-didou-resonances/
4-ingber_architecture-of-life.pdf
5-https://www.coreimpactstrategy.com/article/hippocratic-marketing-oath
Hi Raya! Really love all of the images of artwork you used in your post this week! I felt the same way about Casini's essay, I had never thought of an MRI as acoustic. I've gotten one done before and I mainly focused on the visual aspects, but it's super interesting how it can perform multiple sensory experiences. It'd be interesting to learn if the mirrors help block out some of these experiences, which is why we may not notice them at first.
ReplyDelete